Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Where the hell is Latvia?

So I ended up in Riga, Latvia again on a last minute disicuion. I was off to see the Bronze medal game between Canada and Finland. When I arrived at my hostel I ran into Jason, a colledge friend I had not seen in 5 years. Of all places. Shows how small this world is.


City Police officer that wanted a picture with some Canadians

Jason had been to the last couple games and did not have any intention of going to the bronze game but that didn't last long. We were able to get tickets relativly cheap but in retrospect it was a rip off. The game was terible. Canada did not want the bronze medal and it showed. I was actually falling asleep at the game. That sucked but if it wasn't for the hockey tournement I would never have came to Latvia and I would not have discovered how cool Riga is.

I spent the next day touring the town and seeing the sights. I went to the museum of occupation which documents how Latvia and the other baltic states were occupied from 1938 to 1991. Latvia has had a tough go. They have been passed between Nazi Germany and comunitst Soviet Union numourous times.


I also got a good view of the city from St.Peters church.


The next day I hit the market which was huge. I got a pair of knok off Merels for 20 canadain so I am happy. After that the real fun started: Ak-47 shooting in an old soviet bunker. This was very cool. If you look at the target I shot at, its a safe bet to say that he would be dead. Check out the grouping in the mouth!

Pictures from Riga:


St Peters Church

Peace Monument


Its 6 am and the Oil just beat the ducks in game 3. I watched it after going out with some auzzies and finns. We all watched the game and it was great. Another reasson to stay in Latvia!

Anyway, go Oil! I m off to Helsinki in the AM for a few days. Hopefully I can get a VISA for Russia. Till then....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

10:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

5:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home